- Installing FreeNAS on Acer Aspire Easystore H340
- Dec 09, 2009
My Network storage exploration never ends. So I recently received an Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 unit to play around. It came with Windows Home Server from the factory, but my idea was to find out how easy to install a different OS (my goal was to have FreeNAS on it).
There are many reviews about this little box so I'll just briefly describe what it is and what it can do.
- Series: Aspire Easystore H340
- Model: AH340-UA230N
- CPU: Intel Atom Processor 230 1.6Ghz
- Chipset: Intel 945GC Express Chipset + ICH7R
- Motherboard form-factor: Mini-ITX
- Internal Slot: PCI-express 4x
- Memory ...
- Continue ->
- Building a low-cost high-performance home NAS
- Nov 17, 2009
Building a home NAS
I'm constantly getting asked about how to build a home NAS from my friends and colleagues so I decided to make this small tutorial to help others to better understand how to start and what's required.
After all, when you build your own peice of equipment then you can choose your priorities (performance, price, power consumption, capacity, etc) and invest more into that.
My goal is to build the following NAS unit (the highest priority goes first):
- Good capacity.
- High performance (the same or better compared to existing manufactured solutions).
- Low ...
- Continue ->